Monday, May 14, 2007

Some cash games hands from New Orleans

I've seen quite a few interesting hands from the $5/10 NL that me and Donald have been playing down here and I'll go through a few of them at random, since I know a couple people (out of the 6 people all in all!) that read the blog likes the poker hands.

An interesting hand from yesterday that I may have misplayed:

I start the hand with about $3700 and my opponent covers me, he's sitting at a little above $5000.
The game is playing quite loose and wild and there's plenty of straddling and pre-flop raises. A loose, asian gambler guy straddles under the gun, one person limps, I raise to $100 with KT of clubs. I get four callers. (Told you this was a wild game)

Flop is Qc 9c 5 and I flop a gutshot with a flushdraw, a pretty big draw. They check to me, I bet $300. The guy who covers me, whom I've played a few hands with raises to $600. I've seen him previously minimum raise once and it was with an open-ended straightdraw and then he checked behind for a freecard on the turn. I have won a few medium sized pots off of him just through aggression and I have yet to show him a hand. The field folds to me and I'm now faced with the decision of raising again and potentially playing the hand all-in if he flopped a set or some such or play it slow. The problem is I am out of position for the hand.

I chose to just call the $300 and see a turn card and re-evaluate. The turn is an 8 for a Q985 board. If he raised flop with JT this is obviously not a good card. I check to him, he bets $600 again. I'm thinking about raising at this point but I'd hate for him to have JT or a set and I have only one card left to go, but I still have a big hand and there's 2300 in the pot and it costs me $600 to call, I chose to call again. River is a T for final board of QT985 and I missed everything but made a pair of tens. I decide there's no point in trying to bluff this and I give up and check, he checks behind with AQ. In retrospect, if I raise the flop big and shove all-in on the turn I probably win the hand, and if I raise the turn to $1500-1800 I might get a fold also. Donald said he thinks the guy might still have called, but we'll never know, I kept having a feeling of that I misplayed the hand for the rest of the night.

Another hand against the same person:

I raise with QJ of diamonds to $60 and two people call. Flop is AJ4 with one diamond, the ace. I continuation bet $125 and he calls again. Turn is a the K of diamonds, giving me the nutflushdraw and a gutshot (gutshot royal, woot!). I keep the aggression of the hand and bet $300, he calls again. River is a Q. AKQJ4 board, I check, he bets $1000. I cannot beat a single hand, even if he is "bluffing" with KJ, KQ or AJ I can't beat it, I have to fold. He shows me a lone queen, and I have a feeling he peeled the flop with a gutshot and hit it on the turn. He did make a comment earlier in the session way before this about loving to play for gutshots because they don't see it coming.

How Donald wins a big pot through some serious skill, it impressed me as I would not have been able to pull it off personally:

Donald raises it in late position to $50 and the same guy who beat me in both previous hands raises to $150 out of the blind, Donald calls. Flop is AQ4 rainbow, the guy bets $200 and D calls. The turn pairs the four putting two clubs on the board which reads AQ44. The original raiser checks, Donald bets $450 leaving only about $220 or so behind. The original raiser puts D all-in and D calls. River blanks and the dealer ships the $2000 pot to Donald who wins it with King high.

...........


..........


And how did this happen exactly? Because when the guy gets really excited about turning his cards up, he picks them up and fumbles them and one card bounces on the rail and lands in his lap. He immediately goes, "Oh shit!" and the dealer says "It's not on the ground, let me call the floor for a ruling" and he calls the floor over. In the 30 seconds or so it takes to call the floor, the guy is sitting as still as he can trying to make the card not fall out of his lap onto the floor (if the card hits the floor, his hand is ruled dead). The floor comes over and the dealer explains what happened, and the floor immediately says "His hand is dead." The guy goes "But it is not on the floor! It's in my lap!" and the floor once again repeats himself, "Your hand is dead."

The dealer ships the pot to Donald and the guy flips up the other card and puts them both face-up on the table, he had AA. He flopped three aces and turned aces full, Donald had KJ of clubs and he called the flop on a gutshot and turned the nutflushdraw, of course he was drawing dead on the turn but he didn't know that. It was totally sick.

Another fun hand from today:

They do play pretty wild on occasion down here and I had just sat down in a game where this one gentleman was moving all-in a LOT, he was making huge bets left and right and showing down shit hands. Like for instance, one guy would raise to $50, another would call, he would make it $1200 to go and show 9-7. Then another time he checkraised all-in on the turn for a huge bet and showed a gutshot without a pair when the guy folded, everybody were trying to catch this guy.

He raised to $75 in the cutoff, the button called and I called with QT of spades out of the small blind. The flop is QJ5 with two clubs. I check, he bets $250, the guy inbetween folds and I call the $250, not totally ecstatic about my hand realizing I'm about to play a really big pot but I wanted to see what happened on the turn. The turn is a 7 and I check again, he bets $600. I go in the tank thinking if I'm really ready to stack off with QT. I had $1575 starting the hand and I $1250 left after calling the $250 on the flop and the $75 preflop. I sit and think and think about what to do and what he possibly could have when he goes, "Kid, just let it go. I have two pair, if you can't beat two pair then don't call."

So I call.

River is a K for final board of KQJ75. I saw no point in betting even though the K scared me, I was just hoping he was still out on a limb and based on his comment on the turn I thought I was ahead. The K was a really bad card though, but I only had $650 left. I check again. He says "How much you got left kid?" I said "$650.", he said I'm all-in then and pushes all his chips in the middle sloppily. I said "I call." immediately, he says "You win, I can't beat you" and he won't show his hand, I turn up QT and he says that is good and mucks.

He rebuys for $600 and the very next hand he opens for $75 preflop and I call on the button with AK. Flop is A42 and he moves allin for $525. I call... turn 9 river K I make top two (probably didn't need it) and he says "You win again" before I even turn my hand over. I show AK, he mucks and leaves the table.

The table starts telling me what a lucksack I am, except one older guy who said "Give him a break, he earned it with the first hand", haha. I guess being a nutty calling station works in my favor sometimes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home