Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Livin' the Grind

Just been playing the hell out of 0.50/1 NL with the $100 max buy-in lately, twelve tabling it. I had a really good session early morning yesterday, I first started off the session playing MTT's but didn't do so well. I started playing cashgames, played about 2500 hands and made my MTT losses plus another $300 back. Then I took a break, ate, relaxed and went back at 12-tabling again. The thing about playing that many tables is that it is mentally exhausting to me, when I play ring games it's not so bad, but I mostly play the 6-max speed tables and I play very loose and aggressive so I'm involved in a lot of pots all the time. I need to take frequent breaks a lot more than what I do when 6-tabling, which I think is better for me anyway, I need to start taking just ten minute breaks every hour and a half to two hours at least. It helps keeping me focused.

Anyhow, I had an amazing session after that, I forgot to bring the hand histories by the basics were that I was playing every hand and raising and reraising like a maniac. I was running very well and trying to make the most out of it. Poker when I get to suck out too is a very fun thing. I had one very memorable suckout, I had raised K5 of hearts, I get one caller, flop is K54 with a spade draw. He bets out, I raise, he moves in for a big overbet and I put him on some kind of combination draw with a straight or flushdraw perhaps, maybe even 54 and I called. Blank on the turn, K on the river and I thought it was overkill but I got the pot shipped to me. I look back in the hand history and he had flopped a set of 5's. Oops, I had two outs.

I also had another very interesting hand to me that I would like to discuss with somebody whether it its a +EV (expected value) play or if I'm spewing chips in the long run. I was up well, I was running well and I was raising every button and every cutoff position pretty much. I raise K9 of diamonds on the button, the big blind who is a very good thinking player (for these stakes) and I've seen him play higher limits usually, reraises me. He has a $100 stack, I cover. I raise to $4 on the button, he reraises to $12, I am totally convinced by the speed of his raise that he is trying to just make a move at this pot and stop me from raising. I reraise to $35. He immediately moves all-in. I use my little time bank to think about this, there's now 136 in the pot and it will cost me 65 to call, I'm getting better than 2:1. I really thought his range was huge. I put his range at any pair, any broadway cards (JT+), any ace and therefore getting the 2:1 odds and also for the metagame purposes of showing down that I'm not folding that easily to this opponent who had actually been one of the few that play back at me at these stakes. I had played with him for the last three days and we've had quite a few run-ins with each other. I decided to make the call. He had 67 offsuit and my hand held up, he went on a tirade for ten minutes afterwards saying it was the worst play he had ever seen. What he said doesn't bother me, just a bitter loser of the hand, I thought it was the correct move at the time and I still do. As an added bonus, as I said he was one of the people who used to play back at me the most, and after this hand he hasn't shown quite the same willingess to reraise me as often (at least not for the remainder of that session). I personally think it is a good long term play but curious as to what others think.

I was up 15 buyins ($1500) in about 1200 hands, an hour into the session and I lost three back-to-back buy-ins and I decided I was taking a break. I end up 12 buyins for that last session and up 15 buyins for the day which I was very happy with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home