Monday, May 28, 2007

Cash game hands from Tulsa, Oklahoma

We came home from New Orleans and I intended on just relaxing a week or so before it was time to get ready to go to Las Vegas for the World Series. Donald suggested we should go up to Tulsa, Oklahoma for the third incarnation of the Scotty Nguyen Poker Challenge. I was there last year and I had a good time, so we just made a spur of the moment decision and packed out bags and left for Oklahoma.

The trip started out quite bad for me, I sat down in a $2/5 NL game with $1000, I can't even remember the specific hand but I know I lost to something goofy and I was down a thousand. I rebought another thousand and I flopped a flush vs the nutflush and we get it in on the flop and I lose, drawing dead. I put in another $1000, I run it up to about $1400 when I run into the next big hand. Men "The Master" Nguyen of World Series and TV fame sat down at the $2/5 table as part of the little promotion they got going where you get to play with the pros. He sat down on my right, in seat 7 and I was in seat 8. He was really talkative, drinking his trademark Coronas and pulling out all the quotes "All you can eat, baby!" and all that. He made the whole table just go nuts, everybody wanted to make these big bluffs and big plays and show him the hand, in some strange sense trying to get his approval. Anyway, this one young guy about my age was doing it a lot, he'd raise to like $80 preflop and show 65 off and things like that and talk to Men the whole time. Everybody folds, and he's in the cutoff and he brings it in for $55. He was losing big in the game and he was visibly on tilt too, I decide to just smoothcall with KK. Flop is 842 with two clubs, I have the K of clubs.

I check, he bets $80, I make it $195, he moves all-in immediately no hesitation. I'm like wow, that is strange, I doubt he's doing that with a set. I thought he either had a flushdraw or something like TT-QQ. I call, he flops over 4-2 for bottom two pair. Brick turn and river and I'm stuck right around $2700 in the game. I only have $300 left, not sure whether I'm about to rebuy or call it a night. I double up once, then I make a big hand and somebody doubles me again and I'm right above $1200 now and I'm feeling like maybe I can make a comeback.

I play a few hands with Men Nguyen, three that I can remember in specific. He was playing a lot of hands but he was playing them well, he was winner in the game and definitely not just giving away money. It made it more fun to play with him. One hand, I raised it with 99, he calls the $30. Flop Q-8-3 two diamonds, he checks, I bet $40, he makes it $140, I call. Turn is another diamond, he bets $325 and I fold.

The next hand I play with him, I call his raise with 87. Flop K85 two clubs. He bets $120 into the $120 pot. I call. Turn an offsuit 3, he bets $325. He bet so big and so fast, I just somehow thought my 8 might be good and he was trying to run me over. I called, river is low club. He checks. I decide incase I'm wrong and he has a king or something like 99 or TT I better make a bet, because I don't think he can call and I'm sure he doesn't have clubs. I bet $600, he folds.

I'm still stuck a decent bit in the game and then I play a big pot with an aggressive, young asian fellow that played pretty good. I called his $40 preflop with T9 of hearts. Flop QJ3 two diamonds, check to him he bets $80, I call. Turn is an offsuit K, I check, he bets $145, I make it $450 and he instantly calls. I put him on a big hand here, like KJ, KQ type hand. River blanks a non diamond and I immediately move all-in. He tanks it forever. I think it was like six or seven minutes although it felt like a lot longer than that. He was asking a couple things here and there, trying to get something out of me. The bet to him was $1300. He thinks and thinks and thinks and eventually he pushes his stack in the middle, I win. I end up cashing out $3700 for $700 winner and I make a decision to play the $1070 no limit that was being played noon the following day and go to bed to play the tournament.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home