Saturday, July 15, 2006

Online Poker and RadioShack

We went down to buy some new phones at RadioShack today. We've in there before and Sam who works there, checked into what the international calling rates were... last I was there they quoted us that it'd be something like a dollar fifty per minute. That is outrageous so I decided not to get a phone. My pre-pay phone I pay close to the same, and is the main reason I want some kind of plan.

Well, we come back today, and of course we're being our usual crackhead selves driving both Sam and Heather (see we know 'em by first name now, could also be because it's on their tags) crazy most likely. We decide we're not getting a phone after about forty minutes and drive off. We come back not only ten minutes later and stay another hour and fifteen minutesish trying to figure out what to get. Jamie needs one that has built in GPS tracking device and starts playing Beatles "Help" as soon as he gets more than twenty feet away from it. He loses phones so fucking often it is ridiculous, it's always the same thing too... "Man can you believe I lost my phone?" No Jamie, that is completely amazing to me. I never thought you'd lose your phone, I mean really, your track record with them IS FUCKING AWFUL.

He bought another Samsung A900 "Blade" and I bought a Sanyo "Katana" which apparently was new. I like it. Other than that nothing really happened besides poker... been slow, Shawn needs to come back so we can do more crazy things. I also decided I'm going back to San Francisco soon. I didn't get a chance to play at Lucky Chances either last time... gotta do that too.

As far as poker goes. I played some online, put some money on Paradise and won some little bitty tournament that had like 28 people and paid $2000 for first, had the new account there up to about $3500. I decided to try their new $10/20 NL game and sat down with $2000. I ran it up fairly early to right around $6000 and things were going well, then I got involved in a real big pot when I raised under the gun with J-10 of spades (playing 5 handed) to 80, got two callers. Flop came Ks 10d 3s giving me middle pair with a spade-draw. I bet out about $240 in the pot, it goes around to the next person who immediately raised to $700. I decided that he most likely has a king of some sort (KQ-KJ) as I think he'd let me bet the turn if he really flopped a monster. I decided against one pair I'm willing to get it all in considering the fold equity as I've shown preflop and flop strength, so I played my hand very fast and re-raised all-in and he called $3000. The pot was now right above $6000 and as it turns out, he had A-K. I'm 50,5% against 49,5% to win the hand according to cardplayers calculator and I realize how sick these stakes are to me when I essentially flip a coin for six thousand dollars. He won the flip and I'm down to about 3000. I play real aggressively, chip up to about four thousand without a showdown and that's when the game gets short and we're down to three handed. Both of them are terrible players and the one on my immediate right is insanely aggressive which was the end of him in the six and ten handed game but actually worked quite well when it got three handed. We take turns busting on the other guy and after he's broke, I have 4700 and the maniac has about 3200. He makes a real sick call against me playing headup when I check-raise on the flop, bet the turn and fire $600 on the river with J-10 on a Q-8-6-6-7 board and he calls me with Ace-Ten high. It was a real, real sick call and I was shaking my head wondering what was going on. A little while later, he calls my raise on the turn and my bet on the river with K-Q high on the board reading 10-8-2-A-A... once again it was good. He had a keen sense of whenever I was on air to make those big calls but when I made my big two pairs, flushes or straights he'd rarely pay me off. Jamie told me to quit him right then and there but I decided to keep playing.

He finally stacked me when he raised to $80 and I just smooth-call preflop with JJ. Flop is 9-4-3 and he bets 120, I raise to 280, he reraises to 450 and this is where I might have played the hand bad. I just call his bet, fully intending to raise all-in on the turn no matter what hits. The turn is a 5 and he checks (?) this made me wonder what the hell is going on, I still bet $700 and he called. River is a 7 and he instantly moves all-in. The board is 9-7-5-4-3 and it is one scary board. His river bet was about $1560 into a pot that had around 2500 in it. I couldn't figure out a hand that he'd play that way unless it was 6-6 or 4-5. I kept thinking why would he put in the third raise on the flop unless he had a big nine, or something like 9-8 or 10-9. I thought my entire timebank out on this hand before I made the call, and he shows 9-6 for the straight and he stacked me. I think I played the hand really badly, I suppose, but he was so aggressive I was just looking to raise allin on the turn as I was sure he would bet it, perhaps I should've moved in on the flop.

So I went from being 4000 winner to being stuck 3500 which is always fun. I sit down in a new 10/20 NL game this time on PokerStars, and I play very well in my own opinion. Flopped a set and got paid off all-in and had my $2000 buy-in up to $8000 when I decided to quit. Disaster was averted as I still won about $2500 for the day. Which is good considering what could've happened, but is also bad as I could've won close to ten thousand. I'm still getting used to the stakes as I'm not used to playing 10/20 but I feel like I'm playing it well so I'll continue to take shots, just try to not play too shorthanded as the swings get pretty big.

The day after that, I decide to play lower so I multi-table 2/4 NL for several hours. I was playing six tables and I ended up losing badly early, I dropped five buy-ins ($2000) and was tilting pretty hard. I told Jamie to get me some beer and he drove to get some, and I started drinking to calm me down, I know... wise choice huh? I somehow make the miracle comeback and as soon as I had my $2000 back I just shut the computer off and quit right then. One of those days when breaking even (won about $200, close enough) feels like a huge win. I ended up playing 3400 hands that day so got a lot of poker in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home