Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"Swede, I made trip tens!!!"

The other night I'm sitting at home in the apartment, just getting through playing tennis as usual and I sent Jess a text asking what they were doing. She said Karen, her sister, who has been telling me for a while now she wants to come down and play in Tunica were both about to go play poker at this place called High Pockets in Memphis. Karen has been playing for a while and she's asked me a couple times if I'd help her out a little bit for her first trip to the Horseshoe, and I said sure. Anyway, Jess said I should come down and play for a while and just hang out. I said I was tired as shit from playing all day but that I'd come down and play a couple of hours before I had to sleep.

So I get in there, and as I'm pulling into the parking lot, Jessica saw I was pulling in and comes running out and says something I thought I'd never hear her say, "Swede, this is fun! I busted two guys with trip tens, I had pocket tens and I flopped a ten and put them both out!"... what the fuck... trip tens, busting people... you're not supposed to say this kind of shit?

Then I walk into the place and the first thing I see is that Karen is all-in, flips up AK of clubs, makes the nuts when she makes a flush on the river and ships a good sized pot to her. I stopped for a moment and thought I entered some kind of twilight zone, that's just surreal. These two dingbats actually playing poker? What the fuck?

So I "buy in" to the game too which you pay $5 and you get to play an unlimited amount of super fast structured sit'n'gos and you tip the dealer a couple of bucks for dealing. Karen goes on to tell the table about how I play for a living and this and that and of course, nobody at the table believes it at first because I can just imagine how many people who actually say they play poker for a living and have no clue how to play but regardless I felt all kinds of pressure now! The first one I bust out early, but it was a funny hand with Jessica. The blinds are 1k/2k and she had 8k. I had about 12k... she limps in, I move in to try to pick up the pot with A9, a tight lady who actually knew what she was doing moves in behind me, the guy in the blind moves in and it's back on Jessica who is now facing three all-ins. I see the wheels start spinning in her head and she's figuring out what to do before making the call.

It's my A9 vs the ladys AK vs the blinds K7 and Jessicas 77. She's like in a super spot since we all have each others cards tied up but she still needs to dodge an ace, king or 9. It's still kind of rare that in a four way all-in there's only seven cards she needs to dodge. Anyhow an ace shows up on the turn and the old lady busts us all. Jessica immediately turns to me and goes, "Did I play that right? I didn't have enough to make it another round so I figured I was committed and I had to call."

I start bursting out laughing at this point, thinking... SINCE WHEN THE FUCK am I having a conversation about whether the hand was played right with Jessica?! It was the funniest shit, I swear.

The play at this place was fairly weak/tight with a lot of limping and a very fast blind structure but it was still a lot of fun. I had a good time. Just going there and playing with them makes me remember why I started to play poker too. Before things got serious and before I'd play a hand and analyze it for three days afterwards to figure out whether I played it right or not... they were playing purely for fun, and I even had fun. It won't be too long before Karen makes her first trip to Tunica. She actually had the betting down pretty good. The biggest problem besides figuring out what starting hands to play that beginners usually have in no-limit hold'em is figuring out the right amount to bet. I saw one time at 200/400 there were the blinds and a guy limped in, and she raises it to 1600. That's exactly the same amount I'd raise there too. I always open for three times the blind, if someone limps I add that to my raise and in this case that'd make it 1600. Just what she raised. Then on the flop she continuation bet 2500 which is also a very good sized bet. I see potential. It's going to be fun the first time I take her to the Goldstrike or Horseshoe. Jessica on the other hand, still seems a little nervous about the whole actually playing thing but before long I'm sure she'll be playing too! Haha, two more future poker degenerates caught hook, line and sinker!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home