Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Tennis, jiu-jitsu and mexican food

Me and Chris had been playing a long game of tennis the other day when we played best two out of three sets. He still thinks he's landslides better than me, and I had him up 6-2 in the first set and the game was tied at 4-4 in the second set. So I'm up 1-0 in sets and it's tied 4-4. He says, "Swede, you wanna make a bet on this?"

I said, "dog I have you in a pretty good spot, why would you make a bet? Are you hustling me and have been slowplaying me all this fucking time?" (I remembered Jamies sudden burst of skill playing golf when money got involved)

He said, "You want the bet or not? $100 on this game."

I said fuck it, I'll take it. I win the first game and I'm up 5-4 and one game away from winning. The next game is cutthroat and when we're having our like fifth deuce and we're tied I hit a ball that just bounces off of the very top of the net and lands on the other side completely without him being able to reach it. He went on stone cold tilt and started yelling and screaming and he gave that game up and just smashed the next ball off the court and I won the game and the hundred.

He says, you want a rematch best two out of three sets? Now normally we don't even play more than three sets because neither of us have all that much stamina but since I had just won a match it felt like it was just fair for me to give him a chance to get even, so I agreed.

The first set I win 6-2 and I was playing good and feeling good about it. The second set he totally smokes me for a 6-1 victory. When we play whoever takes the lead usually gets so much momentum and plays so much better than it's landslide victories either way for the most part, kind of weird how it works out. We're both fucking exhausted but playing our hearts out just not wanting to lose. We start the third set, and he starts being up 2-0. Then we play a game which was key for me to win and we have something like eighteen deuces (ties) in a row when the score is 40-40 just going back and forth and I eventually win it to make the match 2-1 his favor instead of 3-0. It was huge. Then he goes on to just kill the following two games and he's up by 4-1 and I'm feeling like this is going to shit fast! I manage to come back and win the whole match 6-4 after taking five straight games and secured my $200! I might not need to play poker again as long as he's willing to gamble with me, just get up in the morning, give him his ass-whooping and I'll make $1400 a week. No problem, I can live off of that...

Just kidding, just have to needle him when I can. Then he dropped me off in the gym after that, I worked out some, came home and did laundry and I was so fucking tired and my arms were so sore after all the tennis plus the upper-body workout in the gym that I tried to pick up my laundry detergent and my arms completely gave out. It was pitiful. We shower up and shit and then we go have a good dinner at a mexican restaurant in Horn Lake, have a couple of beers and just sit and talk shit. It was a very good day, enjoyed it a lot. Played some poker after I got home, won about $500 playing for thirty minutes and then took a break. I'm still undecided whether I should play some more or just be happy with winning a nickel and just not playing anymore since I'm tired. But we'll see.

Then on Monday I think I'm going back to start training again. I used to do shootfighting for a while back in Sweden, a combination between submission wrestling and muay thai kickboxing and I enjoyed it. Then the school closed down and I never pursued it anymore. I talked to the instructor in Memphis about starting to train Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and/or Submission Wrestling a few days a week and I'm going to my first class on Monday. Hopefully I'll get back into that as I enjoyed that a lot back when I was doing it more actively, I need to gain weight anyway so working out even more will hopefully help that. I still haven't given you guys an update about our weightloss/weightgain bet but I promise that'll be an entry soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home