Friday, November 10, 2006

The 24 hour long live session

Austin called me and said he was gonna go play at the Goldstrike, I had just finished an online session winning about $1600 playing 1/2 nl 6-max tables. I played about 2000 hands and then I wanted to go play some live. I go up to the Horseshoe and get on the $2/5 NL list. While I am waiting, Austin calls me again. He said they are spreading $1/2 pot limit Omaha next door at the Goldstrike. They don't always spread Omaha and I enjoy playing it, so I walked over there. We were seven handed when I started playing.

I pick up a couple small pots playing quite tight when I decided to open up a bit after we drop down to six handed and they're all fairly tight. I open up for $8 on the button with 10-9-9-7 suited once and big blind and another guy calls. The flop is 9-8-3 with two diamonds. I'm not suited in diamonds. I flop top set and open ended, the first guy leads out for pot which is like $25 or something. I reraise pot, he reraises pot again this time to a little over $200. I put in the rest of my money (I covered him) and he calls. He has K-10-7 and another low card I can't remember but it was irrelevant. He has K-10 of diamonds. He's got a huge draw too except we share the same straight-draw. Turn is the ace of diamonds and he's got the nuts, board fails to pair on the river and I'm stuck around $400 I think. I move over and play $1/2 nl, I get most of it back. Then I lose a couple small insignificant pots. Bobby Schulz was playing in the game and running well, he cracked my kings twice in small pots and after a while I realized the game wasn't that good so I wasn't going to get even here. I lost $500 exactly when leaving the Goldstrike.

I walk into the Horseshoe, buy in for $500. The game is fairly good, Roland, ultra tight John and Wayne were some of the people in there. I start out playing ridiculously tight, which Roland comments on, and it lets me win a pot later. A weak player raises the button to $25, Roland calls in the small blind I call in the big blind with 98. Flop is 7-7-3 or something of the sort, all rags, we check to the weak guy who leads into the pot, I know that Roland thinks he is weak and Roland raised, I re-raised... Roland claims he folds 7-5 because I'm playing so tight. I doubt that, but still.

I got right around $500 and they are gambling in some pots when I'm thinking about adding another $500 to the table because most pots are big and I hate playing shortstack poker. I decide not to for now. I limp in late position with two sixes, tight John has limped UTG... blinds check. Flop is Qc 7c 6x. John leads for $25, I raise to 90, he reraises to 250 I believe it was. I only have 2-- more behind that. I go into the tank big time, I am so close to throwing my hand away here. I'm trying to think of what I can beat, the only hand I can realistically beat that he limps UTG with is 76 suited since he played it so hard. I think he would raise QQ. There are basically four hands I put him on, 76s, 45 clubs, 89 clubs or 77. The queen is a club so that rules out AQ of clubs. I spend a lot of time thinking about this hand and I make a dumb fucking all-in for the rest of my chips here. He makes the flush on the turn and I show my 6's after the river blanks and throw it in the muck. A few people were telling me there's no way I can throw that away and that they thought I was just hollywooding when I took forever to decide on the flop.

The thing is, he is one of the tightest players I have ever played with, bar none. I have to give him a hand on the flop. He 3-bet my raise on the flop so if I give him a range of hands, most of them beat me except the draws which are still favorites. I think I played this hand very poorly and it is a fairly easy laydown on the flop. I think if I hadn't been stuck from the Goldstrike game, I could muck this and move on.

I reload for a thousand and I'm in the game for $2000 now. The session was so long that I've forgotten most of the pots, I lose another $300 and I reload for $500 more... putting me in the game for $2500 exactly.

I remember one good call I make, this young talkative (and funny) black guy whose name I forget, he's a friend of Adrians though I believe, was running the table. He was involved in a lot of pots. He limps early position, I limp behind with 10-8 offsuit and someone makes a small raise of $20 late position and we both call. The flop comes down 10-6-4 rainbow. He leads early position for a potsized bet of $60. I had previously seen him do this with draws a lot and I didn't really put him on a big hand, I called while deciding what to do on the turn, preflop raiser folds. Turn is a J. He bets really quickly $125, if I remember right. I really think I have the best hand at this point and I decide to call again. The river pairs the 6. He bets $285. This was a really big bet for the size of the pot, and I can't think of a single hand he would do this with unless he flopped a set. The one and only hand I am worried about is pocket fours. He wouldn't bet this much after I call the flop and the turn even with J-10, I don't think he limped a big pocket pair. The guy who raised behind me likely held AQ or AK and while this doesn't rule out somebody else having AA or KK it wasn't his style to limp big pairs. He opened for big raises with big pairs, he'd splash around a lot with small hands. I keep thinking he has 7-5 or 5-3. I'd hate to be wrong and lose $500 with a very mediocre hand that I could've tossed preflop but something didn't smell right. He either had 44, 75, 53 or 64. I beat half the hands I put him on and that isn't quite good enough. I act like I'm about to fold and I look over at him and he's kind of having this big grin on his face, looking over at Adrian, and I interpret that as he is about to show a big bluff. I call, he says good call I missed my draw and ship it to the swede.

I lost a few really tough hands after this, I finally got aces allin preflop against the same guy I beat with 10-8... unfortunately he had the other two aces. I actually turn a club flushdraw with my ace of clubs but I miss. Then I lose a rough pot with two tens. Raol who plays tight and who in my opinion can't really get away from a hand reraises to $100 preflop after I raise with tens, I put him on anywhere from JJ to AA to AK. Nothing less. Flop is K-J-10 and while I don't absolutely love it, when he bets $150 which is a big bet I do like it. I don't think he has a set anymore, I smoothcall. Turn is a rag, he bets again, I raise he calls. River is a queen for the lovely K-Q-J-10 board and he bets $150 and I instafold, he flashes the Ace. I knew he would've paid me with ace king there too, that is what is so sick, that pot had me riled up.

I then lose another one to Larry. I flop top set of kings when I raise in the cutoff, he's in the pot but I get no action. Very next hand I make a $40 raise with 8-8 and he calls, then he checks in the dark. Flop is J-8-7 and he checks, I check, turn is a 9 and I don't like it but he bets $60 I call. River is a 6 he bets $100 I make a crying horrible call and he shows 10-9 of hearts for the flopped nuts. The turn saved my ass. I still couldn't get a single set to hold up.

I lose another big hand to some ridiculous beat and I'm now 22+ hours into the session when I go on tilt in one hand. I raise 53c to $20 early pos, two callers, the young black guy whom I beat with the 10-8 reraises to 100. I know he's got a big hand but I decide to call anyway and pray to get lucky and stack him. Flop is Js 10c 9c I flop a flushdraw. I check planning to checkraise allin but he only bets $125. I all of a sudden get a bad feeling he flopped a set. I have $950 total after the preflop raise and I can't move in for $775 more that would look fishy, I thought. I decided to just smoothcall and see what he does on the turn. The turn is a queen. I check again, he bets $250 this time. I weigh my options here, when I call him preflop... I normally would have something that flopped a set on this board. If he has a set himself with JJ, TT, 99 like I thought he did, this was a horrible card for him. If he had aces, he can't call a raise either. If I'm wrong and he somehow has AK or KK I still have some outs, I announce raise and put my $250 out there. I said $550 more and put myself allin, he calls instantly. Uh-oh. He goes "You have AK, you have AK?" I said no, I don't have AK. He shows KK. No club on the river and I go home now.

In retrospect I should never have been involved and if I raise the pot on the flop I would probably have given me a better shot to take it down. BUT I don't totally hate my play here, he just happened to have a hand that hit the turn or else I think he has a hard time calling. If you look at it from his perspective, and disregard the fact I'm splashing around with 53c. If I raise preflop, call $100 preflop I am usually not splashing around. The flop comes dangerously coordinated, I smoothcall his raise. On the turn when he bets $250, there's room for him to fold for $550 more if he really does have JJ, TT, 99 or even AA. But it was still unnecessary to get involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home